Saturday, May 30, 2009


Frozen grapes how i love thee! I remember as a little girl my family would go to my grandmother Linda's house every sunday for dinner.  In the summer times when my sister and i would get to spend the day with her and go to the pool she had at the trailer court she lived in . Those days are very distinct memories to me. We would have lunch, usually a sandwich, and chips with dip. It wasn't just some ordinary chips and dip, the chips were those kind that came in a box and they had the biggest ridges in them and the dip ,there was something that she would do  to that dip that to  this day i cant duplicate. I have looked high and low for those wide rigged chips and i do not think they make them any more. She would always have root beer in her fridge that she would have bought especially for my sister and i. I guess she thought kids should drink root beer. We weren't aloud to have pop in our house so it was a true treat. I always thought we must be so special because she would by special groceries just for us.  The day usually went like this, we would eat our lunch of yummy chips and dip drink our root beer than we would have to wait a half hour, she always said that we would drown if we swam on full stomach. so we would sit around in our swim suits and coverups and wait until the timer went off. than we would stroll down to the indoor pool, my sister and i had to wear swim caps for some reason i think i remember grandma saying it was so our hair wouldn't clog up the drain  of the pool.  Than after hours of swimming and being completely exhausted from swimming we would walk back to her house, change out of our swimming suits and sit on her closed in porch and gorge ourselves on frozen grapes.  Yesterday i had forgot that i  had bought some grapes and its been so hot here i made my first batch of frozen grapes for the summer. As i was making them i thought about grandma and all the little things she would have us do for her. I always wanted to water the plants with the cute little orange watering can and than i would go out to her vege garden and help weed and water. now that i think about  those times im sure she was preparing me for my long days of gardening that i put in later in my life. My grandmother linda was a quiet petit woman with the most beautiful silver hair. She didn't ever share much about herself but she gave me many little sweet memories to hold close. one of the sweetest of all is the frozen grapes in my freezer.

How to make grandma Linda's frozen grapes:
take all the grapes off the stalk put them in a bowl, rinse with cold water, drain water, sprinkle with sugar, put in fridge until frozen, enjoy on a hot summer day. 

4 comments:

  1. those were great days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Endearing and precious memories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jenni, you made me cry. Thanks for the sweet memories. Still looking for the picture.
    Sending Love,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenni, I love this story and am glad to find your blog. Thanks for linking to mine!

    Your story reminds me of summer days with my grandma: glass bottles of cold Coke, Pringles, Spaghetti-Os, Fudgesicles and syrupy sweet Rainier cherries that she canned herself.

    She didn't have a pool, but we sunbathed in the backyard - her in her bullet bra and bermuda shorts!

    I like the sugar on the grapes. Will have to try that. Yum!

    ReplyDelete